A Picture I Took By My Bus Stop (I will have to look up the name)

A Picture I Took By My Bus Stop (I will have to look up the name)
I think these are Clematis (but don't quote me!) - This picture was taken by my bus stop

Friday, April 22, 2011

Who Are We As Writers? And 5 Rules for Writers by Robert Heinlein

Vanessa Gebbie, short-story writer, poet and novelist, was interviewed by Tim Love and she has a lot to say to a novice writer like me.  Click on the link below to read the interview.  

http://litrefs.blogspot.com/2011/04/venessa-gebbie-interview.html

Have you read Vanessa's interview?  What did you think of it?  Lately I've been despairing over two of my short stories that remain lifeless and dull no matter what I do.  I've tried everything to resurrect them and I was ready to give them a decent burial until I read Vanessa's interview.  Suddenly my stories were given a second chance at life.

This got me thinking if I, we, know ourselves well-enough as writers.  What kind of stories do we gravitate towards, what are our fears, hopes, dreams?  The answers to these questions are well worth investigating.  It doesn't really matter what kind of stories we write but that the stories we do write have a heart and a soul.  Then magic happens; the writer and reader are one.  Sure some areas of our subterranean psyche are scary places filled with turbulent emotions, or if you are lucky filled with ecstasy, but we need not stay too long just long enough to mine these emotions and invest our stories with them.   

How did I come to this conclusion?  The first story I submitted to a contest and won an honorable mention was written in the 'zone', it was one I deeply felt about and just like Vanessa Gebbie said, I didn't have to struggle for metaphors and grappling with what to write, while these other two stories I do.  I know now that it was because I didn't connect with them.  I have to find the "heart,"  the soul.  Why are they so important that I must write about them?  Once I find the answer, words will flow.  I will let you know, dear friends, how I make out and provide you with updates.    

Vanessa hit the proverbial nail on the head.   I definitely agree with you Vanessa that writing " 'in the zone', ... Every metaphor will create itself."  

Thanks for reminding me that all great works of art needs a beating heart. 

Thank you! That was a lovely interview.

Here's a link to her website (hooray!! I finally learned how to insert a link) which I will peruse soon - looks fabulous
http://www.vanessagebbie.com/

But I'm not done yet.  Tonight you get two posts for the price of one as I don't think I'll be able to do it tomorrow night.  Tania Hersham, novelist and short story writer, also has a blog on American Science Fiction writer Robert Heinlein's 5 Rules for Writers which is also wonderful and thought provoking (YEAH!! 3 links in one post - I am definitely getting better at this!)

http://titaniawrites.blogspot.com/2011/04/revising-short-stories-part-iib.html

No comments:

Post a Comment